Education and Training Opportunities
Masonic Cancer Center Program Meetings and Lectures
- Cancer Center Seminar Series (watch recorded seminars)
- Cancer Detection, Treatment and Survivorship Seminar
- Cancer Prevention and Control Seminar
- Cell Signaling Program
- Genetic Mechanisms of Cancer Program Meeting
- Immunology Program Meetings (held concurrent with meetings of the Center for Immunology)
- Tumor Microenvironment Program Meeting
- BMT Conference
- Cancer Biology Research Club
Upcoming Conferences and Special Lectures.
October 20, 2014: 5th Annual Masonic Cancer Center Research Symposium
10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., first floor, Cancer and Cardiovascular Research Building
Keynote Speaker: B.J. Kennedy Lecturer in Medical Oncology Jonathan Samet, M.D., M.S., Director, University of Southern California Institute for Global Health, Professor and Flor L. Thornton Chair, Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine
The symposium will include two poster sessions.
October 20, 2014: 23rd Annual Developmental Biology Symposium: Coping with change: Environmental and nutritional control of development
Coffman Memorial Union
Visit the website for more information.
October 21, 2014: Catalyzing Translational Innovation: A Talk from the Director of NCATS
11:30am-12:30p.m., Mayo Memorial Auditorium
Biomedical science is in an era of unprecedented accomplishment, but there isn’t a concomitant improvement in meaningful health outcomes. So how can the needs and opportunities of translational science be met? Dr. Christopher P. Austin, director of the NIH’s National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), will talk about the agency’s focus on the translational process and describe its mission, programs, and deliverables, with a view toward future developments. RSVP to reserve a box lunch, or join remotely via UMConnect; walk-ins will also be accepted.
October 27, 2014: Ada Comstock Distinguished Women Scholars Lecture: Women's Cancer: Making Sense of Hormones
4 p.m., Cowles Auditorium, Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs, 301 19th Ave. S., Dessert reception follows the lecture in the HHH Atrium
Speaker: Carol A. Lange, Ph.D., Professor, Departments of Medicine and Pharmacology
Presented by: Women's Center, Office for Equity and Diversity, Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, University of Minnesota Libraries
RSVP online at z.umn.edu/ada2014. This lecture is free and open to the public.
November 5, 2014: 2014 Advancing Cancer Health Equity Conference
11 a.m.-7:30 p.m., Hilton Bloomington, Minneapolis
Sponsored by Minnesota Center for Cancer Collaborations
View the Call for Abstracts. Submission deadline in September 15.
Visit the website for more information and to register.
November 6, 2014: 2014 Cancer Summit - Cancer Care: It's a Partnership
8 a.m.-7 p.m., Hilton Bloomington, Bloomington, Minnesota
Keynote Speaker: Julie Silver, M.D., Associate Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School
Visit the website for more information.
March 27, 2015:Transforming Cancer Survivorship Through Research and Best Practice
8 a.m.-4 p.m., Kingsgate Marriott Conference Center, 151 Goodman Drive, Cincinnati, OH
Keynote speaker: Julia H. Rowland, Ph.D., Director, NCI Office of Cancer Survivoship
Speakers include: Patricia Ganz, M.D. – UCLA; Michael Stubblefield, M.D. – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center; Kathryn Schmitz, Ph.D. – University of Pennsylvania; Wendy Demark-Wahnefried, Ph.D., R.D. – University of Alabama; Timothy Ahles, Ph.D. – Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Registration information and abstract submission information is available on the website.
April 23, 2015: SAVE THE DATE! Inaugural Kersey Lecture
4 p.m., 1-125 Cancer and Cardiovascular Research Building
Speaker: Jennifer Grandis, M.D.
Interdisciplinary Team Conferences
- Brain Tumor Conference: Monday, 1-2 p.m., C456 Mayo
- Breast Cancer Interdisciplinary Conference: Friday, 7 a.m., C456 Mayo
- Head & Neck Cancer Conference: Monday, 12:30-1 p.m., Large conference room, ENT department, 8th floor PWB
- Hematologic Malignancy Conference: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 4:15 p.m., Bell Institute of Pathology, D175 Mayo
- Melanoma Interdisciplinary Group" 4th Tuesday, 8 a.m., C456 Mayo
- Musculo-Skeletal Tumor Conference: Thursday, 7 a.m., Surgical-Pathology Conference Room, 4th floor Mayo
- Surgical Oncology/GI Tumor Teaching Conference: Monday, 5-6 p.m., Rotates each week betweee 11-157 PWB and HCMC Green Building, 5th floor, room 328 (contact Tina Russell for location: 612-625-2991)
- Thoracic Oncology Conference: Thursday, 11 a.m.-12 Noon, 114 LHI